Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I Hope They All Die

** Even though I have read all of the books in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series that have been released up until this point I am going restrict any commentary on the subject in this or any future possible blog entries to events chronicled on the show "Game of Thrones." This decision is based on two things 1) more people are familiar with the television series than the novels and 2) they change things in the adaptation, often dramatically so. **

Excluding the dozen or so characters in the GOT world that I loved who have been murdered, mortally wounded in battle, or executed so far none of my favorite characters are dead. This primarily means the characters that, like most fans, I have latched on to early in both the books and the show: Tyrion, Arya, Danaerys, and Jon Snow. Likewise, less likable characters but still highly intriguing characters like Petyr Baelish, Varys, and the whole Lannister clan have also escaped death. I guess it's because I'm so engrossed by the richness and thoroughness of their characterization that I find myself so emotionally attached to Stannis and the Hound but it's great that a reader and viewer can care about what happens to them.

It's because of this love of these characters that I can't wait to see them die. Of course I have my own questions about each and every character (will Bran ride a dragon? will we find out about Jon's true parentage?) but the fact that they all are in constant peril excites me. Danaerys, is one of the most popular characters; she's certainly the one fans want to see amass even greater power. Now imagine what drama, what emotion would be pulled from fans if she died. George R. R. Martin creates the most spectacular, imaginative deaths for his characters and if he were to kill off Dany that it would have to be the most shocking and narratively significant event in all of the ASOIAF universe. 

Of course it would be met with fan outrage. That's the point! OUTRAGE. It would be so emotionally jarring that readers would feel like they've lost a friend and hero. I cried while both reading, and years later viewing, the execution of Ned Stark. As an artist who hopes to create an emotional experience with my audience I truly admire and respect the audacity of a writer like Martin who would be willing to put both the lives of his characters and the hearts of his fans in peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment